For those who want to be a self employed dog groomer there are certain things you need in order to be seen as a reputable provider.
In this blog, the team here at Savvy Pet Spa are here to answer the question ‘What do I need to be a self employed dog groomer?’
With the UK having over 30% of households owning one or more dogs, as well as dogs being the most popular pet in the UK it is no surprise that dog grooming services and the general pet grooming industry are projected to do well.
But it isn’t simple for this to become your business, as there are costs to pay and certain standards required in order to be an established and respected business within this industry.
We will be answering the afformentioned question by providing you with further insights along with explaining our excellent service that can help facilitate any budding pet groomer.
What skills do I need to be a dog groomer?
Although the concept of spending time with dogs all day is appealing, not everyone has the capacity to be a dog groomer, here are some skills you should have in abundance if you’re considering this job.
- Patience – Dogs can be temperamental, especially if they are scared or hate to be groomed, they may lash out and be difficult. How will you handle it?
- Sensitivity – Stress affects animals too! Grooming can be stressful for some dogs, so knowing when to slow down and take a few minutes is paramount in not only de-stressing the dog, but building a relationship of trust with it.
- Reliability – Are you on time? Can you follow a schedule?
- Communication – Some dog owners have specific requests for their dog’s grooming session, being able to communicate with a client allows you to understand their needs, and creates a rapport that can be helpful in situations that grooming the dog is proving to be difficult.
What do I need to be a self employed dog groomer?
Firstly, you must establish yourself as self employed, this is because your earnings will correlate to your tax threshold, and how much you pay which is not taken automatically like when you are employed by someone else.
Whether your self employment is part time or not, if your earnings from it is beyond a certain threshold, you must declare it via HMRC, not doing so could see you receive penalties for tax evasion.
There are quite a few factors you should consider before starting a business in general, click here for a brief overview of some costs to consider. Please note that some of these things are subject to the area you are in, hence why there is no set cost.
In regard to a dog grooming business specifically, here is a list of just some of the things you have to consider when it comes to costs.
- Equipment – grooming equipment, animal-friendly hairdryers, cones, helmets & headbands and much more.
- Supplies – Shampoo, conditioner, and other grooming products required for dog fur
- Treats – Some dogs need a little treat in order to behave or be calm.
- A Space to groom the dogs (and no, a bathtub does not count!) – Whether you buy or rent this space, it will be a big cost to consider
- Training – You may have to pay for some courses in order to learn the whole process of dog grooming in a correct manner, especially if it results in a qualification.
- Legal costs i.e Insurance
There are likely more costs to consider to become a professional dog grooming business. Creating a business plan, with the research of the costs you will incur as a result of having this as a business is the only way you will be able to do this.
Research can be in the form of speaking to dog grooming business owners. (ideally not locally as they may feel uneasy about giving advice to a potential direct competitor) Of course, researching online is also a helpful tool.
The solution for self employed dog groomers
If you managed to pass the many hurdles in creating and establishing yourself as a dog groomer, or if you have just started your journey, organisation is key, and so is finding new customers and using your skills to make them a regular customer.
Dog groomers are in high demand, but so are the number of available services. This is, however, balanced by the fact that there are more dogs than groomers in the UK, meaning that there are enough pampered pooches to go around for everyone.
This means there is also the option to expand your business and take on additional clients by hiring new people. Whatever option you choose, many people are looking for talented dog groomers.
Your solution? The Savvy Pet Spa appointment and booking system.
Savvy Pet Spa
We help groomers secure the dog grooming clients available in their areas by offering an elevated online system which makes it simple for owners to match with their perfect grooming business.
Our pricing starts from just £35 per month and offers the following benefits:
To Business Owners
- 100% no-show payment protection, as we understand that missed appointments can be detrimental to the long-running success of businesses.
- Booking systems that can be tailored to suit your own company hours. These also gather all essential customer information and align directly with your internal systems.
- Customer subscriptions improve the chance of repeat bookings and also allow you to implement other marketing measures, such as loyalty schemes or special offers, with complete ease.
- Automated reminders for customers so that appointments are not missed. This also means that business owners can save time on checking their diaries daily and sending out reminders which can take up valuable time that could be spent fitting in an extra client!
- Secure operations which protect both business and customer data.
- Review reminders and the ability to create a digital presence online boasting strong testimonials and client feedback, a strong form of marketing in itself.
- A cost-effective way to combine multiple administration and security tasks through just one supplier.
To Pet Owners
- Simple online booking and reminder service which is perfect for busy lifestyles. This also aligns directly with calendars to ensure that appointments are not missed.
- Efficient payment methods which can be automated and securely managed.
- Peace of mind thanks to the professional and secure booking system.
- Ease of communication with the chosen grooming business as bookings can be updated and amended easily.
Automation is the future for most industries, and dog grooming has not escaped this technical trend. We have created a system which benefits both business owners and clients in a way that will suit business operations during the coming years in which the need for groomers will continue to increase.
Begin your self employment today!
In this article we hope to have shown you the avenues you can take to become a dog groomer, as well as answer other questions you may have. Our mission is to help groomers take their business to the modern consumer through our simple-to-use and highly acclaimed platform.
Savvy Pet Spa is here to help you get more clients, and less admin, by streamlining the service that you can offer, your potential is greatly improved & our aim is to help you help others.
We hope to have addressed the question ‘What do I need to be a self employed dog groomer?’ Got some more questions? Check out our blog page for some additional information.